Telling Our Story: Collections
The museum holds in public trust over 12,000 objects donated to the City of Humboldt. Collectively, these artifacts tell the story of the development of Humboldt and area. They are objects that demonstrate everyday life, but represent ingenuity, accomplishments, suffering and the values of the people who built the community of Humboldt and surrounding area.
The collection includes:
- Artifacts from the Humboldt Telegraph Station (circa 1878–1885), located on the Carlton Trail, including those found through an archaeological investigation conducted in 1995 of the telegraph station site;
- One of the oldest collections of natural history specimens in the province, begun in the 1920s by the monks at St. Peter’s Abbey;
- Items relating to the spiritual guidance by the Benedictine monks, educational role of the Ursuline Sisters and the impact on health care by the Elizabethan sisters;
- Early settlement era, including themes of transportation, communication, family life and community organizations;
- Memorabilia from businesses and events of Humboldt’s past;
- The development of Humboldt from the early pioneers to present time.
Consider a donation
If you have an artifact that would assist in telling Humboldt’s story, please consider making a donation to the museum’s collection.
Photo above right: This stain glass window, Sing to the Lord, graces the main floor of the museum. It was originally installed in 1963 in the Chapel of the Ursuline Convent in Bruno.
Photo right: These boots were worn by John Boehm when he was struck dead by lightning in 1907.